Thursday, June 02, 2005

Does everyone have music in them?


Van Cliburn, many moons ago

Fort Worth, Texas is the host to Van Cliburn Piano Competition , which is currently taking place. After living in this area for 26 years, I can tell you this is a serious event for pianists and a source of pride for the community. Although I am not a huge fan of classical music (Bach and Mozart are my favorites, typical lightweight stuff), I am a music fan that will listen to almost anything.
Is music something that is just in some people and needs to get out, or does music reside inside everyone? Veda Kaplinsky is an instructor who has taught many students in her 58 years. She currently has a student that is a finalist in the competition. She said in a KERA public radio interview that, "Music is not only necessary it is essential for survival, spiritually."
Does your heart sing to you?
Sometimes the blues or sometimes pop?
I would hate to contemplate life without music and I hear it everywhere, constantly. I only wish that I knew how to make it...

1 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

The Van Cliburn competition is indeed legendary! I wish I could hear one of them performed.

A few years ago, we had a Rachmaninoff piano competition in Pasadena. I went to hear many of the events and it was truly awesome.

I am envious!

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home