Saturday, December 24, 2005

Why Christmas?


So this is Christmas
And what have you done
Another year over
And a new one just begun
And so this is Christmas
I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young

Happy Christmas by John Lennon


For many of us, Christmas is that time when we look back at the year nearly gone, we rush to get presents and we try hard to enjoy quality time with friends and family. All as it should be. All very good aims and endeavors.
For me, Christmas is also a realization that, as John Lennon said, "And what have you done?"
What have I done that I can claim to be a good person?
A person worthy of believing I can dictate my relationship with the Creator of everything?
What could I possibly do that can elevate me to divine status?

It's an easy answer for me - nothing.

There is nothing I can achieve, do or contemplate that would make me worthy of experiencing God's concern and care. Yet, I believe I benefit from those things. How can this be?

Christmas is the answer. Whether one takes the Mary and Joseph stories in the Bible as literal truths or not, to me this represents the ultimate reaching out by God to humans. Just like an intervention with an addict, the healthy one took the needed first step to put things right. Why?

Love.

Same reason one of us would stage that intervention for someone we cared so deeply about. Just like an addict getting well, the intervention represents the beginning of the cure. I'm not going to say that I know exactly how it works between us and God. That'd be pretty audacious. That's something each of us needs to work out on our own. But sometime during this holiday rush, I hope you can find just a moment to think about it; take a pause to consider there are other things greater than each of us and wonder how we fit into the puzzle. Ask, "Why?"

Here is my Christmas prayer for all of us:
A very merry Christmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear

3 Comments:

Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

YOu'll be the only person I actually wish "Merry Christmas" too, since you seem pretty sincere in your beliefs. As for all the others who are more worried about sales at the mall, I don't know what to wish them. Happy Hoping For 50% off!!

Anyway, I hope you and your family have a great time relaxing & celebrating together.

I will have a few days with the kids & 10 days out of work. Thanks.

Best wishes also for a healthy & happy 2006!!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Mike Bacon said...

Merry Christmas to you. like what you said Kurt, it is so true. It really irks me when I see all the hubbub about the word"Christmas" All of this talk about wishing someone a "Happy Holiday" instead of a "Merry CHristmas" A "holday Tree" istead of a "Christmas Tree" Well to those who seem to have orgotten the CHRISTmas is the celebration of the birth of Our Saviour Jesus CHRIST - to you people I wish a Merry Christmas, althought I am tempted to say to those people "Bah, Humbug to your PC Holiday wishes. I have not yet met a Jew or a Muslim that has attacked me for saying Merry Christmas. To quote Scripture, "As for me and my family, we will follow the Lord!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

John, you shithead! That's why I got not Merry Christmas?

You hear that? That's the sound of my heart breaking...

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home