Monday, July 10, 2006

Yippee! She gets it!

Last night (Sunday), Stephanie and I were at a workshop series that has been going on at our church for the past several months. We are studying a book called Practicing Our Faith, edited by Dorothy C. Bass. It offers practical steps to help Christians live out their ideals, examine their integrity and develop deeper understanding of why certain actions effect our relationship with God.
Last night's chapter dealt with the subject of "testimony". Essentially it is the process of giving evidence to things you hold as truth through spoken word, song and actions. It was agreed by those in attendence that you will likely not find many Presbyterians standing outside abortion clinics screaming for the cessation of the killing of babies. When discussion turned to how can a Christian demonstrate our belief in God's grace and love, several people had excellent examples of things they do in their daily lives.
I offered this space as one of my methods, and mentioned the respect y'all have shown for my beliefs in this cyberworld context, and how we are able to have fun with each other. Some of you (jenn, rat, annamaria) have told me that you appreciate my beliefs as well as our tacit understanding that I will not attempt to impose them on you.
Stephanie's comment after mine demonstrated her understanding that we (me and y'all) are able to have open, honest and respectful discussions that do not threaten any of our relationships. She appreciates your comments and she (I think) appreciates my willingness or love for the people that I have encountered here. That felt good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mad Housewife said...

That's one of the reasons I am also Presbyterian. We are not pushy and rude with our beliefs, and we do not tell people they are "going to hell" if they do not go to our church. We are very comfortable with ourselves as people and as God's children. Very inspirational post, Kurt! Way to go!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

David Lowes Watson once made the comment in a seminar I attended that "evangelism is not an excuse for rudeness." And some Christians make the mistake of equating ardor and sincere love for Jesus with obnoxiousness.

On the flip side, however, a "polite silence" is just as unloving. We need to remember the admonishment given in Romans 10, "For 'whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.' How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?"

I got sent to church and Sunday School as a kid, and I'm reasonably certain that I was in the presence of people who were proclaiming (preaching) the message of the Good News of Jesus. But I'm not sure I ever actually heard it. Part of the reason was that I was tone deaf to the song. Another reason was that it was not spoken in a way I understood. Until one speaks in the venacular of the audience, most will not hear. Kurt speaks the "language". I do a "pigeon english" version. But hopefully y'all can make out what I say through the "accent".

10:47 AM  
Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

Amen, brother.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home