Thursday, November 10, 2005

Parents wanted

Wake sent me an e-mail and a link to this article in the NY Times. He asked me to post this quote from it and include his comments:

"The looks I would get when I went in there made me so nervous that I would try to buy the food as fast as I could and get out," said Laura Brauer, 40, who has stopped visiting A Taste of Heaven with her two children. "I think that the mothers who allow their kids to run around and scream, that's wrong, but kids scream and there is nothing you can do about it. What are we supposed to do, not enjoy ourselves at a cafe?"
What are you supposed to do? Parent! Which means that sometimes you don't get to enjoy yourself. It means that sometimes you have to leave because your child cannot get control. Is the whole world supposed to suffer whenever your child has a bad day? No wonder these children don't learn to control themselves in public settings. Their parents have such a high sense of entitlement they see their needs as superceding the needs of others. And that is what their children learn. Send in the Super Nanny!
Kurt's comments here:
Revisionist history is at work here, but I know there were times we had to leave due to the manner my girls were acting. But very few.
The best occurance of this happened when I wasn't present. Stephanie was shopping at Target with Nicki (our youngest), who was about 3 at the time. Nicki had seen something she wanted in the toy section, but my wife had said no.
Nicki started to pitch a tantrum.
Stephanie told her they would leave if she didn't stop her tantrum.
Nicki kept on, so Stephanie started to wheel the cart toward the exit.
In the first indication that Nicki was watching too much TV (and learning more than we thought), Nicki changed what she was yelling.
"HELP! STRANGER DANGER! YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER!"
They did make it out of the store without her mother being arrested and Nicki was "persuaded" to not resort to that tactic again.

Parenting is hard work. Believe us old people when we tell you that having a child is going to change your life forever!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home