Tuesday, April 25, 2006

whew. the ordeal continues...

So I was browsing last Thursday, looking lyrics to a particular song. I clicked on one of the links that Goggle provided and immediately knew something was terribly amiss. Suddenly there was one of those infamous, dreaded windows with an EULA (End User License Agreement) dialog box in front of me, with the options Agree or Disagree. Perhaps stupidly, I closed the window instead of choosing.
Immediately, there were pop-up windows cascading on the screen. As fast as I closed one, two more would open. CRAP!, I thought (or close to that). My pc was suddenly nothing more than a delivery machine for Direct Revenue, LLC. These little MFs are the purveyors of a nasty program called "Surf Sidekick" which is what turns on the pop-up hell I was in. They have been sued by the states of New York and Illinois for this little piece of crap. It seems as though the fines were not enough or are still in the appellate process because they are still out there screwing us over.
Needless to say, blogging was out. So was accessing my e-mail.
The most worrisome thing though, is the potential loss of "local administrative rights" on the pc. This is/was the feature that allowed me to store 1,900 songs on the hard drive (to listen to when Pandora is slowed by network traffic). It also allowed me to utilize some other, non-work related software that no one else in the building can install because they don't have the rights.
I didn't want to communicate too much with the IT boys in the company, because that would be a red flag. I have been able to sort of restore the computer by installing a parallel Windows XP Pro, and can see all the files that I want to get off the hard drive before I wipe it completely. IT is not going to provide me with the scripting information to be able to access our domain; I think they are being a little provincial about it. We use a Novell Netware appication. It seems I may need to send the computer to the home office for that installation.
There is one other computer in the building that has local admin rights. I think I know where to find the scripting info and then it will be a matter of reconstructing the proper log-in scripts.
Anyone that has any experience in this and wants to make suggestions should e-mail me. The sooner the better, as there is some remote databases I need to access in order to perform some of my job functions. I would love to restore myself back to full functionality without the assistance of IT.

4 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

thank you so much for showing me pandora, i love it so much.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

Repent for the end is near!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Damn..sorry for your luck..I lost a boatload of tunes when my mutha board blew up..couple of hundred bucks worth..but for you the work files are the biggest issue..my condolences :(

I do love pandora..didn't I turn you on to it?

12:09 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

you did, indeed, dusty. i felt it was my duty to try to spread the love.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home