Friday, July 14, 2006

What song hooked you?

I mentioned last week I was looking to hear what riffs or opening notes to a song sticks out in your minds. What song grabs you from the first notes and takes you into it? The example I used was Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones.

Two others that work the same from me are:
Layla by Derek and the Dominoes (I am not such big fan of Eric Clapton's acoustic version - I hate it that he went Phil Collins and tried to get the Oprah viewers market....)

Lunatic Fringe (video link) by Red Rider - strangly enough, this song starts with a haunting tone that just sort hangs but then the guitar kicks in and there you go...

That's my two cents worth. What songs nail you to the wall like that - that if you hear the first notes, you know you are gonna change the station and it may even turn into a driveway moment - you know, you sit in the car in the driveway listening until the song is over....

2 Comments:

Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

"Tom Sawyer"- great intro, plus I am a huge Rush fan.
SRV's "Couldn't Stand the Weather" is another one, but then, if you've visited my blog in the last few days, you know he's an all-time fave of mine.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Lady K said...

"The Rain Song" by Led Zeppelin gets me every time. That and the clocks in "Time" by Pink Floyd. Well, ANY intro from them sucks me in.

Cool blog!

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home