Monday, February 04, 2008

And How is this Change?

Don't vote Tuesday without reading this

Tomorrow, like many others across the country, Democrats in my state will vote in a primary. The media, bloggers, and others have been quite diligent in challenging most of the claims of Clinton and Obama. But one claim that has been accepted at face value is that Obama represents "change." That his presidency would be a radical change from the status quo. I'm still an undecided voter, so this post is not intended to oppose his selection. Instead it reflects the difficulty voters like myself are facing this year in finding that person who will best lead the country towards being the nation I hope we will become -- one that is true to our shared values, and where government is not an agent to advance the agenda of one group over another, but instead is the power that enforces the common good.

So, if the facts in this NYTimes article are accurate, how is the Senator from Illinois anymore an agent of change than any other self-proclaimed populist (i.e. Edwards, Huckabee, et al.) It appears that the influence of donors has trumped the intent of law in this case just as much as in the Bush administration. It's the Lincoln bedroom, it's Teddy and the education lobby, it's more of the same ... and people wonder why I look so closely and am so supportive of the so called minor party candidates.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mad Housewife said...

If either Clinton or Obama win the next presidential election, our country will be wide-open to terrorists because they're too stupid to protect us. If one of them becomes the next president of the United States, our country, our people, our freedom and our EVERYTHING will all go to hell.

I'm not saying I'm a big supporter of Huckabee or McCain or anyone else, but at least the republicans have the marbles to tell the terrorists where to shove it.

(Sorry, got a little emotional there.)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

it's ok, leslie. Lake Jackson can do that to a person...I can see the Presbyterian thing is a work in progress!!!
Dude, I am seriously looking at McCain right now but am VERY disturbed by reports of the things he is "willing to do to court conservative voters" in his party...

7:12 PM  
Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

I've got another political rant rumbling in my brain that connects to McCain as a candidate. Like I said, all the talk is about how this election is such a break from the past, but the more closely I look, the less I see it. The only thing I see is that the subject of the major party candidates' pandering is different. Obama and McCain are touted as being above that and yet that was my concern in this post on Barack, and Kurt's with his comments on Sen. McCain.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

You should have written yourself in.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

i just got a chance to read the article linked. i guess i'm not that surprised to see the close ties that exist between Obama and his contributors. i wonder if there can be enough momentum generated from all the "new" voters he is reaching to effect change?

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home