Saturday, February 23, 2008

Shaq, JKidd and the West

So now the Suns have added Shaq, the Lakers got Gasol, San Antonio didn't need to add anything and Mark Cuban ran out to get Jason Kidd. To be honest, when I first heard this trade was about to happen (how can something be "about to happen" for more than a week anyway?), I wasn't that excited about it. It seemed the Mavs were giving up an awful lot to add old legs and a poor shooter. My bad.
I have seen bits of the first two games since the Kidd trade and the Mavs look like they are having fun. Kidd's passing is as good as advertised. When the trade happened, pundits used phrases like "able to get the ball to teammates where they want it" to describe Kidd's ability. Until that happened the last two games, I hadn't realized what a poor passing team the Mavs were. I also thought, "They need to learn to catch the ball or they will be losing some teeth."
Shaq's debut week was every bit as impressive and I think Phoenix is pretty excited, too. Like many, I wondered if he would slow the team down. Seems not, the man is still capable at times of being an animal rebounding. Amare is going to LOVE being freed to do the things he does so well and Nash is still sick. The Suns are a very very good team.
I hate the Lakers. But they also look very good...Kobe Bryant still irritates me somehow, even though he is an incredible player.
New Orleans? Hmm. Let's see how they do now that the big boys have decided to get serious. Even Houston is turning it on now. I predict the Hornets will fade.
Oh, and for your fans of the Eastern Conference that happen to read this (i.e, Wake)? Seems the luck o' the Irish is running out when the boys in the green shirts take the floor against really good teams. I see Paul Pierce was his usual self last night. The "new" Celtics looked alot like the old Celtics (and I don't mean those of the Bird era (or before).
Y'all have a great day. I'm going to build a community garden.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

It really looks like all three of those teams really beefed up their chances to win. The Lakers are scary good now. Shaq was super inpressive I thought in his first two games which were both on ESPN. If he can stay healthy for the rest of the year & get his minutes up, look out. Nash is a total joy to watch. I read that Kidd has been killer, but wasn't he the guy that beat his wife? If so, I just hope guys like that die in slow painful car wreck deaths. That said, he seems to have made an immediate impact out there. Enjoy it because I haven't read much to think The Rangers will bring any extra joy to you this year. Is there ever a time that it wouldn't be tortture to go see a game there with the heat? For some reason, I have a weird desire to go catch a game there. Maybe I am just hoping to play with Q's breasts or something, but I should start seeing the Yankees all over the place. I have seen them in Boston, Oakland, Anaheim & of course Yankee Stadium. I really need to catch them in some other stadiums on some long weekend getaways to go to places I have never been like Texas. Maybe you can hook me up with some good country bars to see some twanging guitars & bar fights.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

haha. yeah, there's one or two of those around. let me know if you want the real cowboy bar or the wanna-be cowboy bar. i think there may be more fights at the later. of course anyplace they have 3,000 people getting drunk and looking at other guy's women who are wearing really tight jeans might be prone to fights.
the Rangers will suck again this year, I'm sure. too bad, too. i think Ron Washington is an excellent baseball man and this could ruin his chances of ever coaching good talent.
Avoid July and August and its bearable. The games are pretty much all night games, even on the weekends so they aren't played in the heat of the day. It's an awesome stadium, too. Not quite as close to the action as Fenway but still good sight lines from everywhere. give me a head's up. they have several places inside to get beer (imagine that).

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home