Thursday, June 16, 2005

Breathing is not advised today


The Dallas skyline & our beautiful smog
Well, it's summer and we started right out with a Level Red ozone watch day. Which means if you are outside, the air is hazardous. Breathing is dangerous.
Dallas has gotten more dirty in the years I've lived here, but the same is probably true most places. I can't remember one kid from my school days that had asthma. Now it seems as though 2 or 3 kids in every classroom are carrying inhalers (we carried different kind of inhalers in the 70s).
Plus, there was only one kid that should have been on Ritalin (sorry Fuzzy)for hyperactivity. Betcha there's two or three in your kid's classes.
Did you ever spray insect repellant on a bug and watch its nervous system go haywire?
Do you think we're doing that to ourselves with air pollution?
Oh, hey, look at the time, I need to go fire up my Ford Excursion and make the 27 mile drive home by myself before traffic gets too bad....

4 Comments:

Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

That is some polluted skyline...

At least you do not have to contend with earthquakes. Ca. is rocking and rolling these days.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Whitney said...

Aside from the oppressive heat, Dallas just doesn't feel as "polluted" as LA did at times. (Except of course when the Santa Anna's blow through and clear everything out -- then it is absolutely stunning in SoCal.) And I continue to think that traffic in N. Dallas is just as bad as most in LA (with the exception of the 405 which is just pure insanity.)

And yes, Barb -- the quakes -- hope all is well with the shaking, rattling and rolling. We were out there in the 94 Northridge, and I can safely say that I would be happy to go the rest of my life without the ground moving beneath my feet like that. (Then again, we were there for the Cambria quake at Christmas a few years ago...in Cambria!)

11:06 PM  
Blogger Jenn Doll said...

Hey, you're in Texas! You're one of the Four Corners. So am I!

The first time I ever got a hint o f some real pollution was when I went to Anaheim, CA. When I got out of the vehicle I felt like I couldn't breath. I had to get back in, turn on the air and metally prepare myself for it. It doesn't help that I'm closterphobic.

I was fine after the firs few hours, but at first it was awful. You should come here, we have no smog. Just don't bring anyone but the wife and kids. The more people, the more likely we're gonna get fog. :P

2:26 AM  
Blogger SeizeTheNite said...

I teach a summer school class and of the 14 kids in there, 9 are on Ritalin.
9!!!

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home