Monday, November 28, 2005

Flawed or Fraud?


Today's big news in Dallas is the Michael Irvin arrest.

Mr. Irvin is the former Dallas Cowboy receiver with a history of being a party animal. Prior to this weekend's arrest, some years ago Irvin was arrested in the Dallas area on cocaine possession charges (nearly an ounce of it if memory serves), an exotic dancer was in the motel room with him and he was supposedly one of the main guys involved in the infamous white house. The "white house" was a rental property near the practice facility that a group of Cowboy players rented for illicit hook-ups and partying. Mr. Irvin has spoken publically about his past and professed changed behavior. A new relationship with God, the support of his family and friends, and his candor have gone a long way toward rehabilitating his image. He has been working as an analyst for ESPN and was considered a strong candidate for inclusion into the Pro Football Hall of Fame next summer. And now this.

Sometimes I look in the mirror and think to myself, "What would people think if they knew the real you?"

See, I know about (some of) my shortcomings as a father, a husband, a friend, an employee and a Christian. You can fool some of the people some of the time...

Already the talk radio hosts are proclaiming Irvin a fraud, saying his declarations of "finding religion" are simply public relations posturing designed to get him back into the good graces of football's royalty and earn millions of dollars.

While I have not heard him speak on the issue, the story being reported seems flimsy. However, as a man who also claims a relationship with God, I want people to tap the brakes before castigating the guy. The whole reason for my reliance on God's grace is because of my flaws. And just what is it I am relying on Him for anyway?

It is not to make me a perfect human. By definition, human is a flawed creature. Instead, I rely on grace to allow me the relationship with God that gives my existence purpose (ironically, which is to represent God). Through my reliance (faith) I find peace in knowing I don't have to be perfect. I just have to trust that God has found the way to deal with it (and so, with me). I'm going to screw up again (and again). But I'm learning to be better at all my relationships. I hope Michael Irvin is doing the same.

So as you move through this hectic holiday season, be thankful for life, consider your part in other's lives (and their's in yours), experience grace, and try spread some joy and good cheer around. We all can use it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

Gil LeBreton's column in the Ft. Worth Startelegram was all about how he wasn't going to be "fooled" by Michael Irvin again. That Irvin is a con man. LeBreton acknowledges he can't judge the sincerity of Irvin's "born again" experience, yet he then goes on to question it. Kurt, you've got it right. Being born again isn't about becoming perfect, about not ever screwing up ever again. It's about finding mercy in the midst of our falls so that we can change. We forget that learning to walk takes time and practice. I've never seen a toddler leading a marathon. But I've seen plenty of them with bruises all over themselves from where they fell against the table, a chair, the sidewalk, etc. Most of us don't have our tumbles reported on Fox Sports and the local news. And a lot of our bruises aren't visible. But that doesn't mean we aren't taking a header every now and then. A gracious community offers a hand to those who have fallen, not a kick in the teeth. And our drug policy is....

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home