Friday, December 30, 2005

Christmas for Kurt!

I'm so happy. Thank you Mid-States Graphics (one of the suppliers we distribute).
Today, an order arrived from them on an unusual pallet. As I got to looking at it, I realized that this has the potential to be the furniture Stephanie and I have been looking for.

Approximately 58" wide x 30" deep, the boards are nailed to make a solid surface, rather than with gaps between them as most pallets are. The frame underneath is sturdy and even. I can sand the faces, add a little trim, make legs from turned fence posts cut down and stain the whole thing. I want the finished height of the surface to be about 40 inches. Then I will affix patterned ceramic tile to the top to make a cutting board (sealing the grout to waterproof it), offset to one side. The other side will be big enough to drop a small stainless steel sink into. The single tap faucet will be designed to allow a garden hose to attach to it. Storage shelves under it will be the perfect place to keep utensils, spices and non-stick spray. It will go next to my grill just off the patio and be very handy as a very low-rent, WT outdoor kitchen.
Another reason I can't wait for summer (did you notice the days are getting longer?)!

2 Comments:

Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

Sounds great. Have you thought about a slab of stone or fake marble rather than ceramic tile? Much easier to do and you won't have to worry about the grout breaking up in the weather.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

I hadn't thought of that, but it is a good idea. The ceramic would allow for a Latin/Mexican flavor. But that could also be accomplished with a tiled backsplash. Great idea

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home