Saturday, April 07, 2007

¿Cuál es su cerveza preferida?

I promised Mexican beers for the next round, so here goes.

It's only been recently that some of the less well known brands have made there way north to Connecticut, so I have to admit that what I'm drinking when it comes to south of the border brews is comparable to drinking Bud or Miller. The only difference, I think, is that beer in these other countries, even when mass produced by major breweries, is still of a higher quality than that in our national brands. Enough said.

Most common Latin brew in my fridge: Corona. I tend to like lighter beers, served ice cold. Tecate and Dos Equis when I'm looking for something a little fuller. I've discovered Modelo and Superior are now readily available up this way so I'll have to give them a try. I suspect they're to Corona and Tecate (Mexico's Bud and Miller) what Michelob is to Bud. Saw a Brazilian beer, Brahma, that looked about right, but didn't get a chance to try it. Maybe next month.

OK, borderland buddies, since everything we hear about up here is from one of the two big Mexican brew giants, what do you have for good, independent Mexican brews? Or something from a little farther south - Guatemala? Panama maybe? And no, Panama Red is not eligible for inclusion on this list.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

You'd think I'd have a great answer for you living where I do, but I don't. Sorry.

You almost pulled it off in the 8th. I was cheering for youse guys.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Modelo is one I enjoy with a fair amount of frequency. At $5.29/6 pk, it doesn't break the bank at all but offers a slightly different flavor. Not very effervescent, it goes down smooth without creating alot of aftertaste (the dreaded bitter beer phenom). I would say it is closer to a Miller High Life than Michelob, though. I haven't developed the taste for Tecate some have - it seems that beer is best served with lime and salt. A bit darker than Corona too. I am not sure that I want a beer that needs doctoring up. I will drink Tecate but I wouldn't buy it and I wouldn't serve it.
For really good flavor, I recommend Dos XX Amber. This is a dark, European style brew with robust flavor, a la Sam Adams. Very tasty.
Another in this vein is Corona Especial. A very close relative that I don't believe is imported but used to be brought back by my compadres is Corona "barril" - a draft version of a favored flavor in Mexico.
Victoria and Pacifico are also around and priced like quality imports, but the native Mexicans I hung with didn't do the expensive stuff so I have had limited exposure to those!
And you're right, Corona is for when you want something light and tasty - with a bit a kick. I think of it instead of lemonade.....

11:05 AM  
Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

Kurt: A very close relative that I don't believe is imported but used to be brought back by my compadres is Corona "barril" - a draft version of a favored flavor in Mexico.
Victoria and Pacifico are also around and priced like quality imports, but the native Mexicans I hung with didn't do the expensive stuff so I have had limited exposure to those!

Trying to find something better than basic Miller/Bud/Coors with out breaking the bank is what started this whole beer series. I can't see spending $7 or $8 bucks on a six pack when it will either go out of date before I finish it or be expropriated by the resident child. (If he wants to drink my beer let him sip the Piels or whatever bought to go in the bread or soup!)

So, it sounds like the disappearance of good independent brews available in the States is not just a regional problem, but cuts across the whole western hemisphere. I know it's not a European problem -- I saw on some beer blog where even little countries like Belgium have a hundred plus breweries, and German has over 1100!

So time to do the Old World Beer Survey. We know Rat will vote Guiness, but what about the small labels?

3:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Modelo Negro or Bohemia.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home