Friday, December 12, 2008

Support For The Soldiers. Shop Sears.

I have despaired over the "brand whore" attitude of the next generation of the family. There are 8 and 9 years olds that will only wear clothes that come from either American Eagle or Aeropostle (or something like that). My own daughters will never think it chic or even acceptable to buy from old name department stores.
But I have realized that I, too, have that attitude in many ways as well. In fact, I remember that when I was about that same age, I was afflicted with it, too. There was one time that Mom brought me some new jeans as part of my "back-to-school" wardrobe. I threw a fit when I saw the "Buckskins" label on them. Jeans from Sears?? NO WAY I was wearing them. Ever. She wound up exchanging them for some dark green Wranglers (not as cool as Levi's, but when I wore those with the dark paisley shirt, I was pretty cool).
Sears hasn't ever been in my mind as a retail outlet for much more than tools or appliances. I have found them to be a good outlet for the work boots I wear now.
But an email came across my desk about a month ago that has made me rethink the position.
For most employers, when a worker is called up to active duty, either in the Guard or one of the "regular" service units, it creates a hardship. By law, the employer is required to hold a position open for that person to return to. That is the minimum requirement, as I understand it. Health insurance, seniority and other fringe benefits are not required to be maintained. Insurance can usually be continued under COBRA, but that often costs more than if they were still clocking in every day. For many of our military personnel, this, coupled with the reduction in wages a call up means, results in their families becoming uninsured.
Sears, I have learned, continues all insurance coverages and other benefits in the employee's absence. Sears also voluntarily makes up the difference in wages, so that the families can maintain the same lifestyle. Company spokespersons have said Sears feels it is "the right thing to do."
You can verify this on Snopes website.
I'm for sure getting some presents there. And I'm telling the clerks and managers why.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

I'd heard of this and commend Sears. Too bad what little shopping I did this year wasn't stuff they sell. Except for the one mall type item that they didn't have.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home