Friday, August 05, 2005

The Accidental Garden


I didn't have a plan when I put in the first of the salvia. I put in two plants. They are the somewhat taller plants in front of the rock. Two of those look stupid. I know that now. At least they are perennials. Two thyme plants were also planted. They start out really small - from a 4 inch pot. They did okay through the first summer and kept growing all winter. By spring I thought, "These might make a cool border/ground cover." They are evergreen.
Last year I added a few more of these salvia (they bloom blue) as well as a few white and red ones. I also added more thyme. The white and red salvia looked sorry. Even the ones at Lowe's looked sorry in July and August. I ripped them out and added more blue this spring. I also replaced the native hard, clay soil with a mixture of manure, peat moss, compost and sand. The new plants seem to like their soil.
Behind the salvia (toward the right) it is possible to see the rosemary that I planted 3 years ago (with the 2 salvia). It has been doing pretty well and I like the texture and color it adds to this area.
Last fall, I planted the nandina which is directly behind the rock. It has great color in the winter; sometimes it is called Christmas bamboo for this reason.
I enjoy getting my fingers in the dirt and find it relaxing. Is man drawn to the dirt he will return to?
I'll drop some other pictures here as summer winds down. It is easier than trying to come up with something profound, although maybe it is deeper than you think at first glance...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What "accident"? The only thing accidental about it is that you, like your brother, find it difficult to pre-plan anything. And though you may have spent your "picky-picky tobaccy" days in the sheds and not draggin your butt through the mud like the rest of us, your concept of agriculture is still seat of the pants! Hee Hee.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home