Friday, March 10, 2006

The Anatomy of Grace


Yesterday Gretchen closed her comment with the familar words,"there but for the grace of God." That got me thinking how I'm blessed to be part of a family where there is grace, and lots of it. I can't say we've always extended that grace to each other, but it's been long enough since any of us didn't that I can't even think of a specific time when one of us had to deal with a brother or sister condemning another. Oh, we aren't afraid to tell each other that we think they're wrong.....but we still accept each other as we are.

What about those places and people where grace seems totally foreign? As I think about it, it seems to me that grace is usually absent when people think there aren't any skeletons in their closet. They don't see themselves as in need of any mercy -- there's nothing they would seek forgiveness for. That sense of perfection leads to an awfully hard heart, unwilling to accept the failings of those who don't live up to some false ideal we've attained.

Well, there's enough skeletons in my closet I can't shut the door! I have no other choice but to remember that "there but for the grace of God go I." And I would be bold enough to say that any Christian that doesn't feel the same way doesn't really understand the price paid on the Cross.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kurt said...

wake, what is interesting to me and perplexes me, is when others that know of my belief in Christ assume that I think i don't need forgiveness anymore.
and the skeletons in the closet (great album, by the way)? i find them rattling the hardest when the wind coming from my mouth is the strongest.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

There are two kinds of Christians that I know.

The kind like Kurt that are humble about their faith and then there are the ones that look down their noses at everyone else for being human.

I used to attend a non-denominational church. I loved Pastor Dave's sermons each sunday.I felt god or jesus enter me when I sang the hymns or when Pastor Dave gave me a big bear hug every time he saw me. I felt the arms of the Lord around me many times in that church. I also feel god's prescence when I pray or talk to him. We talk alot, god and I. He's a great listener..but I digress.

I quit going to that church after I inadvertinely said "damn" one day during the after-church gathering. One of the holier-than-thou's had the nads to take me to task for muttering the word under my breath. She said' Do you pray with that mouth?" I said, why yes I do ma'am,daily and sometimes hourly..why?" She started tearing me a new one about "people" like me that pretend to be Christians and continue to be crass, foul-mouthed individuals that don't belong in church with "real" Christians. This person had always given me the evil eye, I don't know why and don't really care. Perhaps it was all the questions I used to ask during Bible study at Pastor Dave's house. He never seemed to mind answering them and told me they were very good questions.

I looked her straight in the eye and said in a very low voice: "how dare you assume what is in my heart and my soul. I wasn't aware that you were put in charge of judging those of us still on earth, I must of missed the memo. Thanks for making me feel welcome here and I hope that someday someone takes you to task for being such a evil-spirited person. I dont have the time or the mindset to do it today, and your lucky lady..very lucky I don't. God is in all of us. You on the other hand, have neither God in your heart or an ounce of class in your body. What would Jesus do when someone spoke to him as you just did to me?"

Then I gave her a big bear hug and walked out of that church forever. I don't need that kind of religion.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home