Friday, December 29, 2006

I always tell her she is more than that

Here's a link to an interesting op-ed. Read it, read my comment below, and tell me, am I stupid, or are they?
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/29/opinion/29fri4.html?em&ex=1167541200&en=a78b3d617c86f2bd&ei=5087%0A
Fortunately things didn't get to the lap/pole dance stage when my daughter was in school. But they were swiftly headed there, and most parents thought it was just great. I could never understand how a woman who was a mid level executive could encourage her daughter to behave as a boy toy so that she would be cool and popular. Seems the dads I spoke with got it more than the moms. Some of them were actually horrified by what they saw. Most were just uncomfortable. The moms: they just thought it was so cool that their tweens were so hot! Someone doesn't get it. Is it me, or them?

3 Comments:

Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

It is MOST DEFINITELY them that do not get it. That HAS TO BE a sign of the Apocalypse! It has to be.

Wow.

Glad to see 2007 won't be ushering in any sanity.

It's a mad, mad world.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

I think the reason the Dads get it is becuz of their recognition of the appeal to a base appetite. Somewhere, sometime most Dads had that little voice screaming inside our heads "wrong. this is wrong..." when we noticed the change occuring in our children's female friends. I'm not talking about perving over them, but from my conversations with other males, there was that day when we were transported back to junior high ourselves and realized that although Annette was the bubbly, cute Mouseketeer, Doreen had a better profile in her sweater when one of the classmates or friends came by.
Yeah, my daughters seem to have escaped having to be so overtly sexual at such an early age, but not becuz they were ahead of the curve. I think they escaped becuz we tried to build other parts of their identity more and helped them recognize the limiting effect relying on cuteness would have.
But perhaps the biggest irony in all of this was when I clinked over to read the article - as I got to the end of the article, there at the bottom of the page are more articles that the NYTimes wants you to read. The articles' links include pictures to catch your eye and make an easy icon to click on. The first one listed on the bottom of my browser window?
Under the heading of Fashion was a picture of a "mature" woman on a couch, looking over her shoulder at the lens, clothed in some articles probably featured on the recent Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, above the headline The Graying of Naughty.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Mad Housewife said...

I didn't look at the tweens, but I wanted to wish you a happy new year.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home