Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Preparation isn't possible


As I watched my oldest daughter Hannah take part in the graduation ceremony processional at the University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa last Saturday, I was really really happy and proud. Watching her finish the process she started so long ago, I was excited about her future for her as any parent would be. We had spent the previous couple days watching and learning about her life in Tuscaloosa, showing her off a bit to her grandfather and aunts. Her uncle Hector and his daughters made the 600 mile drive to Alabama Friday to watch the ceremony Saturday morning and then drive back!!
Seeing her apartment, her work and the respect she has earned from her coworkers, and spending time with her, I realized I was watching an adult live life. That was very cool to note.
But sometime in the middle of the ceremony, I welled up. I'm not sure where the tears originated or the feelings behind them even now. I KNOW how proud of her I am. And how I feel like her mom and I did the best we could and it shows. But in some ways it is like the end of something irreplaceable. I wasn't ready for that.
Happy and sad. Sweet and sour. Life is wonderful and I love all its tastes!

2 Comments:

Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

Good to be a proud Dad. And congratulations to Hannah. I'm guessing that the year in Spain was enough of a break to keep her heading towards the goal. Seems like a lot of students need a break somewhere in the midst of those 16 straight years of school.
I'm wondering how I'll get through the ceremony next year. Josh will be the first on Eileen's side to graduate from college.

How cool that her aunt and uncle made the trip as well. 600 miles, even down South, is a long trip. I'm already hearing we'll be expected to host a very large group of folks at Josh's graduation -- in Maryland!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

Congratulations! I would have been shocked if you didn't well up. Elle finished junior high next week, and since I don't see her nearly as much or enough any more I already suffer from boughts of losing her. It's not fun at all, but one can't help be proud of them and the remarkable people that they are turning into.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home