Tuesday, October 02, 2007

NY, NY

Our buddy Rat (his link is over on the right) recently was able to go back home to NYC and has been posting pictures about it. This has brought back many memories of the few trips I made there. I loved visiting Manhattan, from the field trips we took in high school in to see the museums or Yankee games to the last time I was there with my kids on July 4th, 2001. Watching the fireworks while on a boat in the East River was pretty cool, even if it was cloudy and we didn't see the top of the very highest fireworks.
But I will never forget the cold cold day we went in Dec. IT must have been around 1988 or 1989. 19 degrees with a wind chill that was crazy. When the wind is channeled in between all those buildings, it can get very windy fast.
But the most vivid memory has to do with the trip up the Empire State Building that day. Our youngest daughter Nicki had decided she wasn't walking anywhere, anymore as we stood in the lobby waiting for the elevator to the observation deck. You stand "on line" in NYC, but on this frigid day there were not many wanting to get outside 1000 feet up. But Nicki was throwing her fit and wanted to be carried. Me, being the great Dad I am, informed her that she was 4 (5?) and needed to walk.
"We're going when the elevator doors open. You better come or you will be left behind."
Of course, Mom and older sister are very shocked by this plan that came from my mouth with no discussion at all.
The doors opened and we got on, except for Nicki.
I can't say if I was prepared to leave her behind or not. And I can't say exactly how it happened; I don't know if Mom grabbed her or Nicki figured it out and got with the program. I just know that before I made the move out of that elevator (and would have been too late anyway), she made it inside, the doors were closed and we were on our way up.
The next place we went after this was to Toys R Us, where we purchased a stroller.
I still say Nicki learned her lesson, though.
I carry these receipts in my wallet, behind some stuff in a compartment. Two adults, two children. This is the third wallet they have been in and I plan for them to always be with me. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I will take BeanTown over NYC any day :P

6:27 PM  
Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

Kurt - awesome post. Glad you have some good memories. Those are great stubs. I'll have to show you the new ones - way too large for a wallet. Yours are better.

I was out of town all week for work so sorry for the delay in getting over here to read this.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

dusty, did i say anything about needing to choose?
that would be like choosing between sex and food...totally different appetites.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, that just brought tears to my eyes..

3:57 PM  
Blogger daisyduke said...

I was in NYC for the International Day of Peace, last month. I love that town. The energy is invigorating, to say the least...the conveyor belt sushi restaurant was sweet, too!

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home