Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Interesting. Comforting thoughts

I have been reading The Shack by William Paul Young (Jenn recommended it). It is a surprising book filled with interesting nuggets.
One of the most provocative ideas I have come across deals with the Ten Commandments. There is a dialog taking place in the novel concerning the origin and purpose of those words of scripture. Have you ever considered the commandments to be not rules or laws but a promise? And that Jesus Christ is both the fulfillment AND the promise?
How is my world changed when instead of considering my failures against the measure of those words, I consider the condition of fulfilling those as a description of my future? Prophecy instead of the basis for judgement?
"Thou shalt not" as a trait, not an expectation or aspiration.
wow.
How can this happen? only by the grace of God. and my willingness to participate in a relationship with the Creator that will enable it to come to pass.
Spend a moment today to consider all the rules and prohibitions you think you know about Christianity and religion, then put them in that light. What sort of being will you be then?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home