Sunday, February 01, 2009

Super Bowl Sunday chores


It is still pretty cool for a New England raised guy to spend the afternoon of Super Bowl Sunday doing yardwork, instead of ice skating or shoveling snow. I think that I may have found a new tradition this year, too.
It is the perfect time of year to do the trimming of evergreen shrubs in my part of Texas. It is considered the dead of winter (we had ice on Tuesday, freezing fog Wednesday morning), so the new growth hasn't begun.
In 2 weeks time there will be buds and daffodils in bloom (I saw some in Louisana in bloom last weekend driving back from Atlanta). A retired aborologist/professor from Texas A & M mentioned this morning on a gardening show that he expects spring to come a little early this year with peach trees likely to bloom before the end of the month.
So, just as many people use Valentine's Day as the timing of when to trim back their rose bushes, I think Super Bowl Sunday will be the weekend my shrubs get their annual haircut.
Peace, y'all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

I chopped ice. 3 inches thick.
That's what happens when you get ONE 45 degree day followed by temps in the single digits after several weeks of temps below freezing along with numerous snow storms

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home