Monday, October 17, 2005

It's tough to be a grown-up....

when you're only 16 years old.
Michelle Wie is an incredible talent who will make a lot of money playing golf. But yesterday, she was disqualified from her debut tournament after signing an incorrect score card. While it's sad, it doesn't come close to Roberto di Vicenso's gaff in 1968 which cost him the Master's title.

But really, neither of these upset me as much as when I watched Ms. Wie on news coverage and listened to her defend herself:
"``I was honest out there,'' she said. ``I did what I thought was right. I was pretty confident. If I did it again, I'd still do that. It looked right to me. But I learned my lesson.''
If you listened to her, it sounded very much like someone who felt they were being singled out or picked on. Like a typical 16 year old.
Which brings us to the next point. My wife and daughter are fans of MTV's My Super Sweet 16. This show is about the overindulgence of young people by stupid parents with more dollars than sense. Birthday parties and gifts that cost more than $250,000 are the norm here, as the camera follows the planning and set-up for the celebration. Particularly annoying to me are the kids whining incredibly narcissistic comments like, "I better get a new Mercedes; I deserve it."
Excuse me? Exactly what have you done in your life that merits a Mercedes? Cured cancer? Diabetes? Peace between the Arabs and Jews? Oh wait. I'll bet you made the Honor Roll. Not likely if you watched the shows.
It makes me want to say, "Get off the couch and do something besides watch this non-reality reality TV." But I like being married and having kids that talk to me occasionally.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mad Housewife said...

Luckily I don't have cable, so I won't be subjected to spoiled brats getting a new Mercedes for their birthday. Blah!

Can you believe the stuff they come up with these days on TV?!? I did catch an episode of the Paris Hilton show where she and Nicole Richie toured the country with a travel trailer. One house they stopped at was making plans for their weekly trip to Wal-Mart. Paris thought Wal-Mart was a store where you buy walls. What a bimbo!

I've linked you to me in my list of kick-ass blogs. Hope you don't mind. It's pretty cozy in here, think I'll stick around a while and read some more.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

My Super sweet 16 is a guilty pleasure thing for me. One of those I-hate-it-so-much-I-love-it type things. All those kids on there are spoiled douchebags. I know I was a bratty, obnoxious 16 year old, but if I ever told my parents I deserved a new car they'd laugh at me. I won't be getting my own car until I can pay for it, so hopefully when I start working at McDonalds after I graduate with a degree in history I can afford one. I'm sure I will.

I've never been to McCuddy's, but that I'm 21 I'll have to make it a point to go there sometime. Maybe after we win the World Series. I never said I was good at math. Did you have to point it out to everyone? Damn.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hahah! I love it when I have to comment after Katie, because she makes me laugh.

I'm with Katie on this. That damn show is a guily pleasure for me as well. There are times where I've just wanted to jump through the TV and hang those kids by their toes. They are HORRIBLE brats. They way they treat their parents and talk, they should be sent to boarding school, not getting a $250+ sweet 16 party. GRRR!

3:13 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

I'll watch it sometimes too. Plus I find that I'm into Real World, Amazing Race and Survivor, for reality shows. Then there's Desperate Housewives, Lost and The O.C., which we all seem to watch. And I watch some sports (but not all).
Hmmm, seems I'm wasting too much time myself. I can't help it, I deserve it.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home