Saturday, September 24, 2005

Rita

I live 343 miles from Beaumont, Texas. Hurricane Rita came ashore between Beaumont and Lake Charles, LA early this morning. Our skies were streaked with clouds from the storm beginning yesterday afternoon.
This morning as I mowed and did other yard work, I noticed the bands of clouds coming from the East/Northeast, as did the wind. This is unusual for Dallas at this time of year. The wind today was about 20 ~ 25 mph with strong gusts to 45. My (plastic) patio furniture was moving all over the place, so I put it up. We got a little mist from it as well.
I am amazed by the power exhibited by different weather phenomena and think I want to see some in person, not just on CNN. I almost went to the coast in 1979, when a tropical storm made it all the way to the Connecticut shore (I lived near the northern border). But I had to work.
I am awed when I go through neighborhoods that have been struck by tornados.
But after feeling the wind from 300 miles away today, I think I can take this off my "to-do in life" list.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

With age, comes wisdom.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home