Thursday, October 13, 2005

Who can work...

when Animals by Pink Floyd is coming through the speakers?
I'm not even stoned and I find myself just listening, going wherever the music takes my mind.
All part of the top album list I posted about yesterday. Oooh, they just said that they are going to play the top 25 all the way through when they get there....
This reminds me of my wasted years. Back before videos and you rode your imagination on the music. I remember when Hannah was about 11 or 12 (Nicki would've been about 8) and she was starting to assert her own mind on music choices. She leans toward alternative rather than pop (Nora Jones instead of Jessica Simpson). So I had her and Nicki get comfortable on the floor and turned up The Other One by The Grateful Dead.
This song is pretty much instrumental with ebbs and flows of intensity. I asked the girls to close their eyes and just listen.
After a few minutes, I asked them what color they were seeing or thinking of.
The experiment ended shortly thereafter.
My kids are children of the video age. They need someone else to program what to think about when they hear music. Sigh....

4 Comments:

Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

sad, but true. They can now make incredibly realistic images with computer graphics but can no longer realistically dream imaginary images.

Try it again when they're a few years older. Some of the stuff I used to play for my ex's kids just crapped out but now they ask to hear it and are getting into lots of it. I'm glad I didn't try to jam it down their ears at the time.

Music is a wondeful thing to share with kids; even if the tastes are totally different. Amazing how driving around in a car with their music on and asking, knowing, remembering who their favorite artists are makes it so easy to start to talk about anything and everything including the harder to broach topics of not smoking, safe (eventually & none now) sex, no drugs, etc.

4:56 PM  
Blogger daisyduke said...

I'm with ya...Boston made me stop hitting the seek button this morning...of course visions of a smoke filled chrysler and Jimmy Mallory(my next door neighbor)are what came to mind---sending me reeling back to 1979. I didn't miss for one minute, the image some scantilly clad teenybopper licking the neck of a scummy guitar
(of course the video could be anything...)
Happens when I read books, too.
Gets my brain working...having an imagination.
Like right now, for example...I imagine me on a hot sandy beach in Belize...damn I look good!!!

:0)

8:59 AM  
Blogger daisyduke said...

btw...fantastic comment at Mel's place, today...

11:49 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

Boston was number 170 on their countdown.
These were voted on by listeners to this NPR station. Looking at the list, I think there are a few people in Philly still smoking dope...

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home