Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Here I sit...

waiting for a Verizon tech to show up and install the needed equipment for their FiOS internet service. I hate the "window" appointments that everyone uses now, but having been involved in scheduling and doing on-site work before, I recognize the need for them. It's just that I feel I am wasting time...

I ordered this service because I have been overpaying for Comcast cable internet too long. At $54.95 per month, I am like the junkie that needs speed but hasn't thought about the cost. However, all these ads for bundled services and hearing Leslie complain about not being able to get DSL in her new abode made me investigate.

The first call was to Comcast (I am loyal if nothing else). It went like this:
Me: "Hi, I was wondering about a package price you might be offerring if I had all my telecommunications services with Comcast. I have phone and internet now and was wondering how we could add cable and see how much savings there are."
She: "You could get $10 a month off the internet service."
Me: "Do you offer any other packages or plans? SBC and Verizon are both offerring bundles at around $85 a month."
She: "No. That's it. They use DSL service for internet and it is not as good."
I had just installed DSL for my father-in-law the night before (SBC). I was able to stream video without any problem or bufferring issues.
Me: "Okay, thanks."

Just to be sure, I checked on-line to see what could be done. She was right. Comcast charges more for internet, more for TV service and less for local telephone service. Hmm, what to do?

So I call Verizon to see about their bundles. It took awhile to actually get through to a person, but she was very helpful. When she learned what I was looking to do, we reviewed all my options. I could switch to Direct TV from Dish Network, but the costs would be essentially the same. No savings. If I wanted to change my telephone service to Verizon, that would be no problem but the monthly charge would be about $10 a month more than what Comcast is charging. The DSL service would cost $29.95 per month, but would require their phone service, so I would only save $15 dollars. But Verizon lady suggested FiOS, which is their fiber optic internet service. It costs $35 a month and I get the first month free. I keep my same cheaper Comcast phone serivce and save about $20 a month and get supposedly faster internet. This is almost like buying a bass boat to save on food costs, but I need the speed I tell ya!

My appt window is from 8AM to 12PM. It's 10:35 and no one is around. Something tells me that the "morning" I took off from work is going to run long...

2 Comments:

Blogger daisyduke said...

I'm chuckling, as I don't have cable and I just got DSL in July.
I don't know how to photo shop and cannot figure out how to upload my pics off my digital camera.
LOL
glad you're hooked up, man!
:0)

10:36 AM  
Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

So, the wait I hear, is just to get you used to what you'll be doing while on the net. I keep thinking about going DSL up here. It's half the price of cable internet. but I can't find anyone who's had cable broadband who is happy with dsl. With the old phone lines they warn me, unless you're right next door to the switching station, fuggedaboutit. that's what THEY say.

As for bundles, with all the trees and ice and wind the forecast is snow.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home