Sunday, March 26, 2006

Madness in March

by now, many of you are tired of the ncaa basketball tournament hype. i love it! my brother (wake) sent me an invitation to join a pick 'em tourney with some other people he knows. i declined the baseball fantasy league due to time constraints, but this one i filled in the teams and sent it in at exactly the deadline. it looks like i will finish ahead of wake this time and it has been worth it. almost like the wait for being able to actually beat him at basketball while growing up. his six year head start was overcome by my 4 inch height advantage, but even that did not make it easy and he didn't surrender willingly.
but life must be good for me - i don't care who wins the actual tournaments (women's or men's), i have no idea who the Rangers starting pitchers will be (i don't think they do either) and i have nothing to say about the dallas cowboys signing terrell owens (another pro athlete from the barroid bonds school of It's-All-About-Me).
warm days, lawns to mow, and a grill cooking fajitas.
descansa bien, amigos.

5 Comments:

Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

Villanova l,osing to Florida left me with no teams in the Final Four, but do I care? Not in the least. This is, without a doubt, the best tournament I've seen since 1985, and with George Mason getting to Indy, it warms my heart. Jim Larranaga was an assitant at UVA during the Ralph Sampson era, and I've always been a fan of his. Go Patriots...

7:04 PM  
Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

In the pick 'em Kurt and I are in EVERYBODY has had their bracket busted. Some of us managed to guess that UCLA would make the final four, but none of us picked them to go any farther than that. So Kurt's the champion bracket master for whatever that's worth. I mean how can you gloat over something that is shared with Susie working the lunch line at Micky D's who made her picks based upon her favorite colors? As for enjoying the tourney -- you bet!!!! Especially if George Mason becomes the next Texas Western (the Haskins' coached team profiled in Glory Road that beat UK and Adolph Rupp back in the 60's. I can still picture the SI cover though I was barely old enough to read the zine).

12:28 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

hey, wasn't that a black and white photograph? sorry. bad joke.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

now that you're old and slow too I'm ready for the rematch. I may not get a single board but I won't need to when every shot goes sssswwwwwiiiiiiissssssshhhhhh, nothing but net!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

i may not be as good as i once was, but i am as good once as i ever was.
and some major improvements must have been made in your shooting eye. the only swish i remember coming from your play was the sound of your skirt made as you whined about getting moved off the blocks while i established rebounding position...

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home