Friday, July 08, 2005

War. Why?

I cried on the way to work this morning.
No bawling, streaming tears.
But my eyes welled up and my heart was filled with sadness as I listened to Herold Noel tell his story on NPR.
Mr. Noel is a veteran of the Iraq war, struggling with his actions in battle. He is attempting to return to humanity and embrace the simple joys of life.
As I watch the events in London (a day after I posted on the attitude of al-Qaeda) and listen to stories like Mr. Noel's, I pray for the end to war. I wonder how people become so rigid in their attitudes that killing another human seems like a good idea. Then I think about how I deal with my kids and realize we all have some of that rigidity in us.
And I would be willing to defend our country from direct threat (which I understand al-Qaeda to be).
But it still makes me sad.
I want to say, "Sorry God. We don't get it yet."

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yet another day of streaming tears. I fell just as you do...

3:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the whole Bush warmongering thing is on my last nerve..its vietnam all over again, and i am too old to get maced,beaten and tossed in jail this time around..time for youngsters like you to take up the call..just a suggestion..but i notice people arent as quick to protest as they were in the 70's when i learned how to do it, and what to expect..i think we got more rights now than when we protested in the 70's, which is good..if people are tired of the status quo with the BUsh administration they have to take to the streets, nothing less will end this debacle..

12:41 PM  
Blogger Kurt said...

well, if 46 is young Dusty, you must be Presbyterian too!
Sorry you missed the link to a NY Times editorial by Kenneth Pollack I posted. It was an interesting article which included ways to actually win in Iraq...

12:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i read the NY times each morning..i saw it.i do not believe this war is one that we can win and i use the word win loosely..its too much like vietnam and we all know how that one ended..46 is younger than I so its all relative...

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home