Friday, June 09, 2006

Babes, Buds, and Blogs

To say I am a little obsessive could be an understatement. Coupled with a really short attention span, it makes a strange behavioral mix. ADD was not in vogue back in the day, so I have heard statements about focus (lack of) and potential until they almost make me sick. Think Clockwork Orange.

Anyway, the other day I was tripping back to "remember when world" (as wake calls it) and it occurred to me that as a young man, I was either partying like there was no tomorrow or dating an angel. There was not much overlap of the two events and I apparently was born to be pussy-whipped. It must have been pretty easy for my buds (Cuts, Scooter, Ian, Elp, Dave, Phil, Boner, Damian and Jon - to name a few) to know when I was dating. I simply disappeared. If she went on vacation, or we broke up, or there was a lull, I was back.

One time, wake's wife told me that I didn't want a girlfriend, I wanted a nun. Keep your habit comments to yourself, please ;-D

The girls and young women that I dated were definitely what was called "straight", which had nothing to do with sexual orientation. But my friends, the folks I hung with, were usually not. They were, most often, referred to as "get highs." Which possibly explains why the two didn't mix well (at least in my mind). Even in college, where it seemed everyone was partying, I wound up dating Straight Sara, the bank VP's daughter.

My wife certainly fits the profile of the type I dated. Stephanie is very sweet, has not been exposed to some of life's harsher elements and types, and has no real desire to see how "the other half lives." And since we began dating, I made the conscious choice to let go of the more, um, "edgier" side of me, figuring the positives of being with her was better than the choice of being stoned and alone.

Fast forward 20-something years and enter the blogosphere with me. Oh wait, you ARE the blogosphere. I am sure that, like me, you have been around looking at manyblogs, especially when you first got on here. Somehow, for some reason, the blogs that interest you, the ones you go back to read time and again, share some bent in your personality. There is something about them that draws you back. In a sense, this blog community has become my current buds.

There is some sort of kinship that draws me to your sites. Some of you may be offended by this, others amused and still others will wonder what the heck I am talking about. But it interests me to look over the sites I go to, and realize again that I am hanging with "get highs." This doesn't mean stoners now anymore than it did then. It just means people that have a little bent, a kink that allows us to look at the world through another side of the prism. I hesitate to call it anything other than a thing, because I do not want to be judgemental about it. There is nothing that makes it more or less cool. Not more hip or less hip. It's just a thang, as we might say in Texas.

And so I find myself trying to bridge the gap again. "Real" world versus "blog" world. I relate much more to some of you bloggers than the real people I encounter. I can share laughs with you easier than with most. I feel you "get" me more than some whose eyes I see look away when I say something off-the-wall. For that I thank you. And Stephanie? It's ok, I am just hanging with my buds when I am on here. It is more healthy than you think, because none of these buds have tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Here" through clenched lips, trying not to let any air escape (some of you know what I mean).

Enjoy the weekend.

5 Comments:

Blogger daisyduke said...

you're the best, kurt booth!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Rat In A Cage said...

How can I compete with a compliment like that from a hottie like that?

2:14 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

you can't ;-)

8:57 AM  
Blogger Kurt said...

oh melanie! you are so funny and gifted with the ability to understate!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Its totally understandable..most folks should be able to relate m'dear..I know I do.. :)

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home