Monday, January 29, 2007

New Music Monday

I'm stealing this idea from WFUV. Two weeks ago driving to Maryland and back I tuned in their City Folk program for about a third of the ride. And it was New Music Monday. All day long they played cuts from the new music that had come into the studio.

So here's how New Music Monday will work on A Ripple Over These Thousand Hills:
Every Monday you're invited to list "new" music. It might be a new release from a favorite artist. Or it might be a new band. Or it might be some music that is new to you. And new doesn't mean today only. Just music that you've discovered in the last few weeks or so.

Here's my inaugural list:

Crowded House
Heard their tune "Something So Strong" on the ride and enjoyed it a bunch.

Santana
The band's not new, but this tune is. "Samba Pa Ti". It's a wonderful mix of old musical themes from Santana's early days, like Soul Sacrifice, blended with new jazz and salsa rhythmns and melodies.

Milton
New artist for me. Good storyteller. Singer-songwriter type. Got to hear him play live from the station's studios while being interviewed. Here's a sampling of In the City

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kurt said...

Yay! I love to be able to learn about new music and artists I may not know about. Or something new from an artist I knew!
Here are a couple of sorta new things for me -
Kill Hannah - Lips Like Morphine I had heard about this band a few years ago, but, having a daughter named Hannah (whose 22nd birthday was Saturday!) I figured it may not be a good idea to listen to them. Then I saw them in concert a month or so ago. They played this song and it blew me away. The studio version is quite different than what the live version sounded like (sorry, Jenn) but both are very good. Rock music. No acoustic sound here.
Wilco - Cars Can't Escape My old friend Kevin turned me on to Wilco just a week or so ago. I like them loads.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Wake of the Flood said...

I added links to the tunes I listed. In doing so I found out that the "New Music" I listed isn't all that new. Except the new Milton cd. In the City which I linked is from 2003 scenes from the interior cd. And after hearing something so strong once again I recognized it as an old 80's hit. The Santana tune is recent, but not new. HMM, seems like the cd's were just new to the station (WFUV), not new releases.... still works for me.

Kill Hannah is a little raw for my tastes, but good stuff. You just saw them in concert? Have you become the old geezer hanging out in the schoolyard?

Wilco and their forerunner, Uncle Tupelo fit me a little better. Guess I've just mellowed too much.

Speaking of mellow. Found it interesting that my youngest discovered Seals and Crofts, and especially liked their pop hit Summer Breeze. It was an almost new and edgy sound for his crowd.

And speaking of pop hits. Poor Annamaria. Her dear love Colin Meloy has lost any edge whatsoever. He's total suburban white bread now -- Terri Gross had him as a guest on Fresh Air. He and The Decemberists are Fairfield County NPR chic ...

1:24 PM  
Blogger Sabra Girl said...

If you like Kill Hannah you should try She Wants Revenge. If you want I'll email you a couple tracks. I love them. I just discovered The Bastard Fairies. They remind me a little of Dresden Dolls. And I'm sure there are other bands I would recommend, but I can't think of them right this minute.

2:20 PM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

You'd never heard any Crowded House before? They were pretty good back in the day.

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home